Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Nesting birds

On my way to and from work, I pass a couple of small artificial islands off a bridge.  The trees on these islands are virtually leafless, presumably because of highway salt and pollution.  This doesn't, however, stop hundreds of birds from adopting these islands as home.  The tree branches are always chock full of birds and the land underneath is white from droppings.

Today as I went by I saw that it's nesting season.  Scattered throughout these dead branches are dozens of large, messy puffballs of nests, and perched on each one of these disordered creations sits one bird.  I wish I could render the image better because it's absolutely Seuss-like, trees and trees of dozens of fuzzy nests with a bird on top.  Got a good smile out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment