Sunday, May 3, 2009

At a funeral

Two days ago I drove out of town to attend the funeral of the mother of a very good friend of mine.  She was 84 and had had a stroke so it wasn't the tragic death of a young person, but she was a much beloved mother and long-time member of her community, so I was anticipating an extremely sorrowful event.  I took a deep breath to prepare myself as I entered the funeral home and joined the line of those last-minute mourners who wished to have a word with the family before the funeral.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered the atmosphere to be not subdued at all, but rather buzzing with chat and news.  I wouldn't go so far as to say it was cheerful but it wasn't melancholy at all.  I was intrigued and, incorrigible people watcher that I am, I had to listen and watch to figure out why this would be so.  It didn't take long to figure out that the reason the atmosphere was non-funereal was because these were members of a Community re-uniting, re-discovering each other and exchanging tidbits.  I use the capital "C" purposefully because the sense of community in that place was palpable.  Obviously we were all drawn together for a common reason and through common acquaintance, but it was more than that.  Most of these people knew each other through one venue or another in this small town, and the unexpectedness I felt was that bonding and communicating.  

I have to say that it was quite a lovely thing.  I also felt really good knowing that my friend and her family are going to have lots of support as they go through the grieving process.

No comments:

Post a Comment