Thursday, February 25, 2010

The power of scent

How amazing, that a scent can bring back memories so powerful and visceral!

I went somewhere tonight and entered a small nook in order to deposit my coat and purse -- and suddenly I was a small child in church. Someone else who also left their coat wears a perfume which the olfactory part of my brain immediately told me I had smelled before, from some lady who went to our church when I was a child. I felt like I'd been blasted into another zone! I was immediately transported back to the lovely wood of my childhood church.

I wonder who it was, and what the perfume was. If I'd known whose coat it was emanating the scent, I'd have asked her, but I didn't. A time travel miracle courtesy of my brain. Wow.

2 comments:

  1. Evening in Paris =Grandma Andrews
    Silly Putty=the playroom at our house in Bar River.

    There's nothing more immediate, is there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am occasionally taken to my childhood through odor. What is so dumbfounding or amazing is that it is the smell of cigar smoke. I hate smoking of any kind, but when I smell that kind of smoke I think of Uncle Perce, or PA as we fondly called him. He used to visit at least once a year and I can remember coming through our door after school and smelling the scent from his cigar. My sister and I would let out a whoop of joy and tear into the living room to begin our visit. You see, we knew that tonight we would be entertained with one of PA's special stories, for he was a consumate storyteller. He never disappointed us and what was so totally amazing was that no matter how long between visits, he would start his story exactly where he had left off on his last visit. I guess I was a sucker for a good story and so fogave him for his smoking vice. Now I have a grandson and have started my own storytelling. I doubt I will ever equal PA but my grandson does enjoy this time. Every time I finish a long tale he says, "Tell it again Gram!" That is when I have to really remember.

    ReplyDelete